6.30.2013

Soda Fountains, Boiled Ham, & Sanka













"Tavia Tindall"  was here 2013

Well, if it's good enough for Brooke Shields, then it's good enough for me.  The Wilton Candy Kitchen is the almost mythical soda fountain my cousins from Texas speak of every time they see me.  Fred and Aleta come up every year from Port Arthur, Tx to visit our elderly aunts and to take them for drives around the Illinois/Iowa countryside.  Visiting the soda fountain has become a regular pilgrimage in their roaming. They can never seem to figure out why I haven't experienced "the oldest ongoing ice cream parlor/soda fountain/confectionary in the world" that's 30 min. down the road from where I live.

Hoping to find this beloved treasure, I motored down historic Highway 6 to the town of Wilton, IA, pop. 2,807. If you get lost in Wilton or can't find the soda fountain, then I have no hope for you and maybe you shouldn't be driving.  It's run by George and Thelma Nopoulos and has been in the Nopoulos family since 1910, but it was established in 1860. More facts and history are available here.  

George is 93 and Thelma is in her 80s.  Thelma told me they've been married for 63 years and that she and George met when they were working behind the soda fountain.  She is adamant they be photographed together as a symbol of their love and devotion.  Thelma didn't want anyone taking individual photographs of herself or George. They reminded me of the elder couples in the love story vignettes from the movie When Harry Met Sally.

George and Thelma, along with the atmosphere, are part of the experience.  The other part of course is the food.  It's rare to see a "boiled ham & cheese" sandwich listed on a menu and equally rare to see Sanka listed as a beverage.  I ordered both.  Thelma looked at me with confusion when I said "Sanka."  
Thelma: What did you say dear?  Me: Sanka, I'd like some Sanka to drink.  Thelma: We haven't had Sanka on the menu in years.  Me:  Oh, okay.  
George and Thelma probably don't look at the menu much when the only real change in 60 years has been Sanka.  Why in the Sam Hill was I trying to order Sanka you ask?  Sometimes I prefer novelty over taste. Also, I had envisioned the possibility of using the Sanka as a sort of au jus for the boiled ham & cheese.  I ordered a chocolate malt instead.

When Thelma isn't looking, George likes to grab a spoon and stick it into the ice cream vats behind the counter for a taste.  He winked at me and said "quality control."  No worries, I'm pretty sure he gets a clean spoon each time.  A customer sitting next to me ordered one of the Greek Super Sundaes, which are Greek because George plants a Greek toothpick flag along with an American toothpick flag onto the top of the sundae.  Yes, that's right, both George and Thelma are descendants of proud Greek families.  A Greek flag sticking out of your ice cream is pretty novel so that's what I'll order next time.  My cousins are right. George, Thelma, and their ice cream are worth the trip.  

It's been a challenge to figure out when to use what camera depending on the situation (I have two choices).  All of these pics were taken with my smart phone, but some turned out blurry.  Oopsie.  Stay tuned for more soda fountain action.  July is National Ice Cream Month.


2 comments:

  1. Love it! One of the things I miss most about Iowa is establishments like this - the coolest diner in Williamsburg wishes it was as cool as this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liz! You're right, Brooklyn hipsters can only imagine a place like this.

    ReplyDelete