10.06.2013

Word Up: the week's reads


I'm pretty excited about this rainbow stack of books.  They're little cookbooks by the French Chef, Keda Black.  I was in one of my favorite thrift stores this week and discovered them on a bottom shelf.  Each book has an ingredient theme and the recipes are simple.  It's the little things in life sometimes.

Some other reads I've been spooning this week: 
{The Mother Jones article, Why Your Supermarket Only Sells 5 Kinds of Apples, is a fascinating history of apple growing and explains how many unique varieties have been lost in America.  John Bunk is determined to find and save them.}
{Marcella Hazan, 1924-2012, Changed the Way Americans Cook Italian Food is the New York Times tribute to the great chef who passed away last week-end.  Oddly enough, both Marcella and Lidia Bastianich showed up in my dream last night.}
{The Guardian article, Rise and Shine: the daily routines of history's most creative minds, is great. Did you know Benjamin Franklin was a nudist throughout the morning?  Anyways, I've been inspired to look at my own routines and see how I can make them more bizarre in order to fan the creative flames.} 
{One of my all-time favorite authors, Wendell Berry, was a guest on Bill Moyers this week.  If you have the time, check out the interview.  Wendell writes fiction, nonfiction, poetry, philosophy.  He does it all, but his nonfiction, specifically his Agrarian essays have had a major impact on me. It should be noted that Mr. Berry rarely gives interviews.}
{If you like beer then you have to look at this beer chart. It's like a beer family tree that connects brands and types.  Impressive design work.}
{I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of The New Midwestern Table by Amy Thielen.  Read a little interview with her here.}

Have great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment